Getting quality sleep is the first step to improving your life and achieving a sense of life balance. Especially during the upcoming festive season, it's crucial to spend this time cherishing moments with your loved ones. The best gift you can give to them is taking care of yourself and your body. Quality sleep serves as the foundation for positive lifestyle changes.
Pure mulberry silk bedding, accessories and sleepwear can work overtime for you, caring for your skin and hair even while you're asleep. The luxurious feel of silk against your skin isn't just about comfort; it's about investing in your well-being.
Life-changing benefits of silk
1. Gentle on Your Skin and Hair
The smooth texture of silk minimizes friction, reducing the risk of skin and hair damage. This includes the added benefit of minimizing kinks in your hair, preventing hair breakage, and maintaining a healthier overall condition. A simple way to pamper yourself every night.
2. Temperature Regulation
Natural temperature-regulating properties keep you cool in warm weather and cosy during colder nights, ensuring a restful sleep experience throughout every season.
Resistant to allergens like dust mites, silk creates a clean and healthy sleep environment making it an excellent choice, especially for those with allergies or sensitive skin.
4. Moisture Retention
Silk has lower moisture absorption compared to materials such as cotton, enabling the skin to maintain higher levels of moisture. This aids in preventing dryness or itchiness and reduces the absorption of skincare products, which might form part of your nighttime mindful routine.
Tips to care for your silk bedding and sleepwear
Silk can last for generations if properly cared for, it truly is the definition of an investment piece. Caring for your bedding and sleepwear is crucial to your health and wellbeing but it does not need to be complicated. Reasons to properly launder includes making it look fresh again, reducing its deterioration from the buildup of oils, soils, dust, and dust mites, and reducing the number of microbes such as bacteria, fungus, and viruses. Here are some tips to make sure you get a restful and healthy sleep.
- Wash at the right frequency: At Silkinc, we believe in balance. This includes balancing sustainability with health. When it comes to bedding, keeping this fresh is really important. Scientific research proves that it is important to wash pillowcases once a week as they generally absorb more sweat and face oils. If you have sensitive skin, you could wash these more often.
For duvets and sheets, once a week is also good practice but could stretch to two weeks if it is winter months, you don't share a bed and you don't eat or drink in your bed. Laundry is effort, we get it, but in the case of bedding and sleepwear, it's worth it!
- Machine Washing: Enjoy the convenience of machine washing silk bedding and sleepwear on a delicate cycle at 30 degrees. Safeguard delicate fibres by using a fine mesh laundry bag, ideally with separate bags for fitted and flat sheets. Pillowcases (sheets and duvets if you are brave!) can be also hand washed in cool water with a delicate Swirl them around gently and ensure thorough rinsing.
- Detergent Choice: Opt for a mild detergent specifically designed for natural fibres, avoiding those with enzymes. Avoid fabric softeners and bleach, as these can compromise the integrity of the fibres.
- Air Dry: Resist the temptation to tumble dry silk sheets. Instead, air dry them indoors or outdoors, making sure to keep them away from direct sunlight.
- Keep heat at a minimum: For those of you who enjoy pristine flat sheets, getting any kinks out can be done by hanging your sheets in the bathroom whilst showering as the steam softly whisks away those wrinkles. Alternatively, you can use a steamer or if needed, an iron, as long as you put this on the silk setting and ideally use another fabric in-between to protect the silk. Also, keeping energy use to a minimum is great, so we also love it when the sheets are just used once air dried. Minor kinks in your bed sheets? No judgement here!
Incorporating silk into your bedding has a direct benefit to your sleep experience. The 6-8 hours sleep you may get works to restore your body mentally and physically and through silk, makes this even more restful and enhances the benefits to your hair and skin as well!